A device through which a liquid is passed for purification, filtering or separation from solid matter; anything (including a screen or a cloth) used to strain a liquid; any device functioning as a sieve or filter – in special, a perforated screen or openwork (usually at the end of a suction pipe of a pump), used to prevent solid bodies from mixing in a liquid stream or flowline.
Type of strainers
- Simplex Basket Strainers: Simplex Basket Strainers: A simplex basket strainer is used where the line can be shut down for short periods to clean or modify baskets. It becomes an integral part of the pipeline and all flow passes through it
- Duplex Basket Strainers: A duplex basket strainer can operate continuously and never has to be shut down for cleaning. A diverter plug is carefully fitted to the strainer body. It permits flow to pass either left or right. When one basket becomes full, the flow is shifted to the other one.
- Fabricated Strainers: Eaton offers several models of fabricated strainers for coarse filtration that include the simplex strainer, the duplex strainer, the cone strainer, and tee type designs of fabricated strainers.
- Y-Strainers: Eaton Y strainers are a cost-effective solution for the mechanical removal of unwanted solids from liquid, gas or steam lines by means of a perforated or wire mesh straining element.
- Model 2596 Cast and Fabricated Pipeline Strainers: The Eaton automatic self-cleaning industrial strainer is a motorized strainer designed for the continuous removal of entrained solids from liquids in pipeline systems. It has successfully performed in industrial, process, water, wastewater, power, paper and municipal applications for over 30 years.